Obama’s Missing Backbone

Barack, when someone accuses you of being Muslim, and catches you in non-Western garb. Why don’t you call out their racism and bigotry, instead of hiding behind your family bible? After the embarrassment we had in the last 8 years, I would hope the next leader of the free world could call out hate and xenophobia when she/he sees it.

For the last year I have been patiently waiting for the presidential candidates to be more eloquent about their mid-east peace policy, and to abandon the empty AIPAC rhetoric that every presidential hopeful must adopt. The truth of the matter is that up until now, their amorphism on the subject has been unchallenged by the media or their rivals. No more!

Ralph joined the race, and hopefully will help bring the debate up a notch. In the first few minutes of his presidential bid, Nader managed to challange Obama’s mid-east stance.

I don’t have much hope that Nader will be our next president, but I am hopeful that he will help keep the Democrat candidate honest, or at least make the hypocrisies clear. Ralph, I’m glad you are in my neighborhood.

Obama’s Missing Backbone

11 thoughts on “Obama’s Missing Backbone

1. Lostknight says:

So being a Muslim isn’t evil. Being a Christian is.

Translations: Neocon Jews run the universe! Evil Jews. Evil!

Sorry. all Nader entering the race did was provide new jokes to Leno and Letterman.

Why is this on planet gnome again?

Obama’s response was exactly right, and it made Hillary’s team look more like the desperate political hacks they are.

2. Eitan says:

So being a Muslim isn’t evil. Being a Christian is.

Tolerating intolerance is wrong.

Translations: Neocon Jews run the universe! Evil Jews. Evil!
    Criticism of AIPAC does not translate to antisemitism. Read The Israel Lobby by Mearsheimer and Walt.

Late night shows is where it’s happening. Where do you think national debates take place? blogs comments? 😉

Why is this on planet gnome again?
    Is this the first non-GNOME related posting you have seen?

3. Julien says:

Being French, I was _very_ shocked by the following sentence found on Obama’s website: “Barack has never been a Muslim or practiced any other faith besides Christianity”.

I may be wrong but it makes me thinks of times where it was considered a very bad thing to be a communist, or a homosexual. And, on the subject, I have always found it very suprising that a country which claims to be #1 in term on freedom has always tried to impose a national line of thought on its citizens: communists are evil, homosexuals are evil, and now Muslims are evil.

4. Eitan says:

Julien,
    Anti-Muslim sentiments astound me because it is a rising form of bigotry. How common were these sentiments in 1995? Sometimes it feels like we are devolving. I hope we will one day look at this era and laugh, just like we laugh today at the red scare.

Wiseman,
    Anti-Muslim sentiments in this country go much deeper than just religion. Obama, with the middle name of Hussein is a perfect scapegoat for such hatred and Xenophobia. He has not taken any leadership in dispelling such prejudice.

5. Sean says:

He isn’t calling it out because he, as he keeps saying, doesn’t believe that politics should be about telling everybody how much your opponent sucks. Everybody fucking knows how lame it is that Hillary’s campaign tried to use Islam as an attack. It’s been all over the news, with every reporter saying how low that was.

And those same reporters are applauding Obama for taking it in stride and not turning it into an attack. He knows he doesn’t need to tell us how low that was.

6. oob says:

..would hope the next leader of the free world..

The arrogance behind this term displays the rampant jingoism and sheer ignorance of everyday Americans.

I live in the free world Eitan. America is most certainly not a part of it.

7. Eitan says:

Point well taken, oob. I should have put that term in quotes. It is the pretension of every U.S. President since World War 2, and it has never been more of a parody since the last administration.

8. Being of the flower-sniffing nuclear-bomb-hating left myself, I’m still wary of Nader. I’m afraid all he’ll do is steal votes from the Democratic candidate and make him or her lose – which would be good for nobody, the flower-sniffing left included.
    Sometimes compromises have to be made in the stupid American election system, and this just happens to be one of them – so go Obama!

9. Eitan says:

Hey Amit!

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about that too. Nader’s idealistic principles didn’t get us very far the first time around.

I am happy that he is contributing to the debate and not letting the democratic candidate just look good next to a neocons, but seriously challenge him/her from the progressive end.

The truth is that any candidate will only be challenged from the perspective of what their rival has to offer. It would be very easy for Obama to pitch a compromised health care policy because it looks good in contrast to McCain’s. Clinton/Obama will have to sweat and try a bit harder when someone like Nader advocates for a single-payer health care system.

I don’t care much about voting for Nader myself, but if he stays vocal up to the last moment, I think it would be very important. I would even consider contributing to his campaign just for that.

When the moment of truth comes, I think he should step down, and say “This is what it could have been about”.

10. I am glad Nader is in the race again too. I will not be voting for him for the first time since I’ve been allowed to vote, but I enjoy his honesty and how upfront he is on issues. He brings up points that are not politically expediant, and thus would never be talked about.